Monday, February 13, 2012

Have I misheard the gardener?

I have recently had my back garden turfed over (2 days ago) and the gardener left me with 2 boards of wood.

I thought he said these were for me to walk up and down allover the lawn to keep it down, as watering it will make the turf rise.



However, my neighbour and my in laws have had turf put down recently and neither were advised to do this.



What do you lot think?

Have I misheard the gardener?
If he soaked it, and/or advised you to soak the sod, the gardner was right. The problem is why even put the boards there if you are not going to walk there to begin with?

It should have been soaked and then rolled. Under normal watering conditions the turf would be walked on in three or four days (without boards) max. The rising issue indicates that the turf was not rolled and thus the sod roots not established to the existing soil. I would cry foul.

By text and general structure I will assume you are from the UK or Canada (I assume the former). Fear not mate. Keep the warranty in hand and utilize it at will. Meanwhile, call the bumpkin and ask for the explaination and the removal of the planks.

Turfgrass/Sod is cut with large machines that run over the turf. Rolled-up in a heap and transported for hours by truck to a distribution center. May stay there, in a heap, for two days or so. The men/women laying it certainly had to walk on it to position it. Why is it that after all of this you can not walk on the very turf you purchased?

Good Luck. I would keep the Sod moist after it is allowed to dry for a few days. Again, assuming you are from UK, they play professional pitch matches on sodded fields within two weeks.
Reply:I think the boards are for you to walk on to get to your car or to the garbage can. Otherwise, call and ask him.


No comments:

Post a Comment